- Produce sales professionals
- Salesman - Vojvodina, North Serbia
- Internationaal Verkoper / Trader AGF - Barendrecht
- Production lab manager - Oregon, USA
- Verkoper Groothandelsmarkten - Rotterdam
- Procurement Executive - Middle East
- Experienced export manager looking for new opportunities
- Sales Executive Fruit & Exotics - Rotterdam
- Product Manager / Concept Manager - Verspakketten - Ridderkerk
- District sales manager - British Columbia and Alberta, Canada
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
- World’s largest vertical farm to be built in South Dubai
- Aspalim and Starlim, early varieties in the green asparagus segment
- Food safety about more than just 'keeping regulators happy'
- Climatology - October precipitation USA
- Val Venosta presents its new campaign with a production close to 315,000 tons
Top 5 -last week
Sweet potatoes a growing niche in Europe
“Prices are not where we'd like to see them for the international market,” said Southern Produce Distributors' Kelley Precythe. “Honduras, Egypt and Spain just started their crops, so the volumes we're shipping internationally will fall off a bit because of that.” Part of the reason for the drop is the additional product on the market, but some of it is also due to the lower costs that growers in Honduras have to contend with and which allows them to offer lower prices for their sweet potatoes.
“It's hard to compete with Honduran prices,” said Precythe. “But then again, they don't have the uniformed pack varieties we have, so it's hard for them to compete with us in that respect.” He added that this is usually the time of year when volumes typically start to come down, as the peak-volume months come in January and February. The only thing that's different is that prices have been lower than expected.
Southern Produce was the first US supplier to export sweet potatoes to Europe, and Precythe noted that the growth of the product has been very good in the 15 years since they started shipping produce there. But they're still working hard to make the sweet potato in Europe as prominent a product as it is in the US. With consumers aware of the health benefits of the product and with added activity from the processing sector, domestic sales have been steadily rising over the years. That's also been the case for international sales, but those haven't been anywhere near the sales done in the US. Precythe wants to change that.
“In Europe, sweet potatoes are still considered an exotic item,” he said. “We want to educate Europeans on the health benefits of sweet potatoes and we want to show them the different ways they can prepare them; once you do that, people start buying them.”
For more information:
Southern Produce Distributors, Inc.
Tel: +1 (910) 267-0011
Fax: +1 (910) 267-1455
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2018-11-09 Italy: Fresh pineapples from the DR thanks to air transportation
- 2018-11-09 Photo Report: Visit to French kiwi and kiwi berry growers
- 2018-11-09 Colombia: "We are increasing gulupa exports for Christmas"
- 2018-11-09 Ghana: Mango farmers unhappy with treatment by Exim Bank
- 2018-11-09 Harvesting season for Turkish pomegranates ending, weather has caused issues
- 2018-11-08 Reunion Island: expansion of the Victoria pineapple
- 2018-11-08 More international demand for produce from Saint Lucia
- 2018-11-08 Mexico: The avocado from Michoacan could miss the Super Bowl
- 2018-11-07 Australia: Mango season North Queensland 2018
- 2018-11-07 Navi Mumbai APMC: Alphonso makes early entry
- 2018-11-07 China claims intent to buy more from Cambodia
- 2018-11-07 Honduras: Okra sales will generate US $45 million
- 2018-11-07 Americans enjoy Honduran organic rambutan
- 2018-11-07 The cassava is a healthy and nostalgic alternative to potato
- 2018-11-07 Pakistan markets full of seasonal pomegranates
- 2018-11-07 Nepal: Fruit prices increase as Tihar festival kicks off
- 2018-11-07 Indonesian plane delayed because of durian fruit
- 2018-11-07 Vietnam: Mekong farmers switching to more profitable crops
- 2018-11-07 Man in kiwifruit smuggling case named
- 2018-11-06 Kenyan president in China to sign avocado deal