- Flower Bulb and Perennial Sales Position - Portland (Oregon) USA
- Plant Production Scientist - Brooklyn (NY) USA
- Greenhouse Assistant Grower - Abbotsford (B.C.) Canada
- Technical Sales Representative - South Western Ontario, Canada
- Farm Manager - West Africa
- Managing Agronomist - Surinam
- Vegetal Material Programme Leader - Cisterna di Latina (Latium), Italy
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Inkoop Specialist Holland Product - Netherlands
- Vegetable Grower - Australia
Top 5 -yesterday
- Nutrispud line of potatoes answers consumer demand for healthier options
- "Increasing the number of Rainforest Alliance Certified products on our shelves"
- China: Our products are stuck on ships
- 'Availability of apples expanded - range of goods continued to diversify'
- Rwanda's agricultural exports grow by 44%
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
US: Cantaloupe planting begins in Rocky Ford
Rocky Ford cantaloupe farmers are putting in more than 550 acres of melons for the summer of 2013, according to the Rocky Ford Growers Association. Officials said that's an almost 40 percent increase from last year.
However, because of the drought, other crops such as corn, wheat and soybeans won’t get planted this year, officials said.
"This year our challenge is water. We are cutting back on other crops in order to be able to plant enough fresh, sweet and juicy Rocky Ford Cantaloupes," said Michael Hirakata, RFGA Board Chairman.
Hirakata said last year farmers had to deal with increasing consumer confidence in the farmers safety measures.
To ensure safety, the Rocky Ford Growers Association said all of its members will be required to use The Hirakata or L&M Shed to process their melons.
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 05/29/2015 Gaza Strip achieves watermelon self-sufficiency
- 05/29/2015 Spain: Net profit from melon cultivation up 122%
- 05/29/2015 The success of the sweetest melons in Spain
- 05/28/2015 Lower melon and watermelon yields and higher Brix levels
- 05/28/2015 Piel de Sapo melons still have room for growth
- 05/27/2015 Spain: Net profit from watermelon cultivation up
- 05/26/2015 "Piel de Sapo melons must follow steps to success of seedless watermelons"
- 05/25/2015 Grupo AGF to produce over 70 million kilos of Fashion® watermelons
- 05/22/2015 Moroccan watermelon exports to Europe up 260% in 2014
- 05/22/2015 "Almeria has learned to harvest watermelons at the right moment"
- 05/21/2015 Grower working to save disappearing watermelon variety
- 05/20/2015 High temperatures boost Almeria melon and watermelon consumption
- 05/19/2015 "Spain: "Fashion is currently the king of watermelons"
- 05/18/2015 US (ARK): Spring weather delays melon crop
- 05/15/2015 US: Honey Dew season from Mexico kicks off
- 05/13/2015 Spain: Grupo AGF and SAT Almanzora, outraged by COAG accusations
- 05/11/2015 Spain buys almost 50 million kilos of Brazilian melons
- 05/08/2015 Germany and France, main buyers of Spanish watermelons
- 05/07/2015 S.Dakota melon farmers still optimistic
- 05/06/2015 "COAG Almeria denounces "in-season" melon and watermelon imports"