Job offersmore »
- Account-Manager - Wickede/Ruhr, Germany
- Grower for pot plant production - Tönisvorst - Germany
- Assistant Grower & Growers - Ohio, USA
- Fruit & vegetables Export-Import manager - Avignon or Perpignan, France
- Area Manager North Europe - Netherlands
- Area Sales Manager Oost Europa - Netherlands
- Benelux Sales Manager - Grow lights, Holland
- Productie Manager - Ethiopia
- Head of Sales Europe
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
US: Cantaloupe planting begins in Rocky FordFarmers started planting cantaloupe in southern Colorado this week.
Rocky Ford cantaloupe farmers are putting in more than 550 acres of melons for the summer of 2013, according to the Rocky Ford Growers Association. Officials said that's an almost 40 percent increase from last year.
However, because of the drought, other crops such as corn, wheat and soybeans won’t get planted this year, officials said.
"This year our challenge is water. We are cutting back on other crops in order to be able to plant enough fresh, sweet and juicy Rocky Ford Cantaloupes," said Michael Hirakata, RFGA Board Chairman.
Hirakata said last year farmers had to deal with increasing consumer confidence in the farmers safety measures.
To ensure safety, the Rocky Ford Growers Association said all of its members will be required to use The Hirakata or L&M Shed to process their melons.
Publication date: 5/6/2013
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: