Job offersmore »
- Technical Sales Representative Trainee - Ancaster, Ontario
- International Account Manager City Farming - Horticulture LED Solutions
- CEO for a leading Agri-Business working on an international basis
- Greenhouse Operations Lead - Alberta, Canada
- Commercial Head Grower - Newark, NJ (USA)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Regional Sales Manager - USA
- General Manager Operations - Australia
- International Account manager Horticulture LED Solutions - Netherlands
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Northern Europe
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- "We are building a global brand, it's not just about selling apples"
- "Our Kissabel apples go beyond offering a new variety"
- “An auction is a good way to sell large volumes in a short time”
- Accu-Label customizes labeling solutions and introduces new tray labeler
- “Our Edipeel product keeps ripe avocados ripe for twice as long”
Top 5 - last month
- Dominican Republic evaluates damage after Hurricane Maria
- India: New packaging technologies for South America
- California company celebrates 10 years of attending PMA’s Fresh Summit
- "We hope the arrival of Spanish lemons will reactivate the market in Europe"
- Peru: French company is interested in dried organic produce
Exchange ratesmore »
Peru: Camposol expects positive asparagus seasonFor the asparagus season 2013, Camposol expects a first peak right before Easter. The Peruvian company aims at a well organized distribution through all channels in order to assure the presence of the product during this important period. As about 90% of the volume is sold through retail chains, Camposol has realized special promotion activities to underline the year-round availability of white asparagus.
Sergio Torres, general manager of Camposol Fresh BV in the Netherlands: “We seek to educate the consumers by demonstrating that asparagus is not just a typical spring vegetable, but that you can enjoy it all year round and that the quality of Camposol’s asparagus is equal or even better than that of asparagus from local European production. Historically, white asparagus has been the first key product of our company, therefore we always work with special enthusiasm for the development of this product, especially in the German market which is the most important one for this crop.
With regard to green asparagus, Camposol will try to set up sales programs to accompany the white asparagus, thus promoting this product in those markets where the green variety has not yet fully developed its potential. In this respect, Germany, Austria and Switzerland are markets that offer further growth opportunities for the whole asparagus range from Camposol.
Also in 2012/13, Camposol has run intense promotion campaigns for white asparagus in Germany, in close cooperation with the marketing departments of major clients and the PR agency MK2. The promotion activities financed by Camposol have been well received by the clients right from the beginning, and the measurable results met all expectations: Sales volumes tripled or even quadrupled during the promotion days. Evaluating the campaign, Sergio Torres comments: “We are very satisfied with the results, and so are our customers. However, the long-term effect of these activities can be judged only in the future, although already today we note an increasing interest of some retailers to develop programs also for the autumn period and not just before Easter.”
With regard to a sustainable development of the asparagus market also in the future, Camposol had recently informed about an imminent price increase due to higher production costs. In beforehand, meetings had taken place with all major customers to inform them about this step, and in general the company’s retail and wholesale partners interpreted Camposol’s message in a very careful and responsible way. The Peruvian company emphasized that it is important to understand that thousands of families depend directly and indirectly on the asparagus business. In view of the severe changes in production costs, the common objective of all parties involved must consist in developing the business in such a way that the passion for asparagus is combined with a balanced perspective for all stakeholders – first of all, the people working in the asparagus sector. Sergio Torres: “Fortunately we have clients who share our values and understand the present situation.”
The export-oriented agriculture in Peru received strong impulses by an increasing diversification of crops in recent years. When deciding about the renewal of plantings, more and more growers opt for grapes, Hass avocados or blueberries, as these crops are very attractive from a profitability point of view. As a consequence, the asparagus areas are on the decline. This applies mainly to green asparagus, but also part of the white asparagus plantations might be dedicated to other crops when the life cycle of the plants comes to an end. Despite this general tendency, Camposol is convinced that asparagus will continue to play a major role in the company’s portfolio also in the future.
For more information:
Tel: +49-421 - 59 14 35
Publication date: 3/11/2013
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: