Job offersmore »
- Hydroponic Crop Manager - Tahiti
- Manager Operational Excellence - El Salvador
- Area Manager North Europe - The Netherlands
- Senior Veredelaar Bloemen
- Consultant - Head of Sales or Greenhouse Owner
- Consultant - Head Grower of Greenhouse
- IPM Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Labor Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Assistant Farm Manager - Australia
- New Product Development Assistant Manager
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- Significant increase of Egyptian agricultural exports to Russia
- ROP's modified atmosphere (MA) bulk liner and ROP's MA Ultra-thin film
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL TABLE GRAPE MARKET
- WAPA: EU expects biggest apple harvest in 10 years
- Indiana Troopers find 1 million dollars worth of marijuana stashed with lettuce
Top 5 - last month
- Second season for Idaho's only commercial blueberry grower
- Wawona acquires stone fruit breeding operations of Burchell Nursery
- AU: New fully recyclable packaging set to take fresh produce industry by storm
- Walmart: purchase of Perimercados, Super Compro and Saretto
- New Transatlantic route brings huge vessels to Port of Liverpool
Exchange ratesmore »
Kenya: World leaders feast on rejected vegetablesWorld leaders have been tucking into a feast prepared from Kenyan vegetables that had been rejected by UK supermarkets.
The food, served during the ongoing Universal Session of the Unep Governing Council and Global Ministerial Forum (GC-GMF) in Nairobi, had been rejected due to cosmetic imperfections.
The strict regulations that cover the supermarkets acceptance of vegetables have been causing growers problems for years. Often they sell their produce in principle, only to have much of it rejected after harvest as it is judged not to look attractive enough.
It is estimated that around 40 tonnes of food is wasted per week in Kenya this way.
The meal was organised in an attempt to raise awareness of the issue of ugly vegetables being wasted.
This zero-waste reception was organised in support of Think.Eat.Save. Reduce Your Foodprint (an initiative launched in January by Unep,) the Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) and partners such as Feeding the 5,000 and Messe Dusseldorf to reduce food loss and waste along the entire chain of food production.
Publication date: 2/21/2013
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: