Job offersmore »
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Sales and Marketing Representative - Canada (British Columbia)
- Werken op een groene productie locatie in Afrika?
- Site Manager - UK
- Avocado Industry Data Analyst - Australia
- Assistant farm manager
- Plant breeder or molecular biologist (Denmark)
- Post-Harvest Senior Manager Required- Kenya
- Growing specialist Helda Beans & Peppers - Africa or Mediterranean area
- Product Development and R&D Engineer (Greenhouse and Equipment) - Canada
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
US (TX): New thornless blackberryA new blackberry variety is being made available to Texan growers. The new cultivar is known as Natchez and is a thornless form.
According to Dr. Larry Stein, Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service horticulture specialist in Uvalde, the new plant is of high quality.
“Of all the thornless varieties we’ve looked at, this one has been the best one to date,” Stein said.
He explained that thornless varieties are not usually as productive or tasty as thorned varieties, but that Natchez is different, producing very large berries, full of flavour. It has already received "superstar" status.
To be designated a Superstar, a plant must not just be beautiful but also perform well for consumers and growers throughout Texas. Superstars must also be easy to propagate, which should ensure the plants are not only widely available, but also reasonably priced.
"Natchez easily fulfils all the basic Superstar requirements," Stein said.
Publication date: 2/15/2013
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: