Job offersmore »
- International Retail Manager - Netherlands
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region -Antwerp- Quality Supervisor, Belgium
- Manager Trucking Company - Azerbaijan
- Junior Productie Manager - Kenia
- (junior) Agronomist China
- Department Chair and Professor of Human Ecology - Davis (CA) USA
- Factory Manager Assistant - Huizhou, China
- Internal Salesperson - Netherlands
- Crop Manager - Northern France
- Farm General Manager - Egypt
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Ontario tomato growers angry over 'horrible' pricing dealWeeks after the province made the controversial decision to take over tomato pricing negotiations, an agreement between farmers and processors has been reached for the 2017 growing season.
Former minister of agriculture Elmer Buchanan, who was appointed by the Ontario government to lead negotiations for farmers, said the deal is a continuation of the 2016 pricing contract.
"As with any successful negotiations, both sides came to the table and were willing to compromise to reach an agreement," Buchanan explained in a statement. "This resulted in a successful deal that will benefit the industry."
Minister of Agriculture Jeff Leal appointed Buchanan to take over for the Ontario Processing Vegetable Growers board of directors.
Farmers are not pleased with the deal, according to tomato grower Francis Dobbelaar, who is also the former chairperson of the Vegetable Growers board.
He said he discussed the agreement with several growers, who describe it as a "horrible" deal.
Read more at CBC News
Publication date: 3/27/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: