Job offersmore »
- Export Sales Manager grapes and citrus
- Sales Consultant Fertilizers Spain
- Sales Consultant Fertilizers Italy
- eine/n Verkaufsleiter/in Europa
- Professional greenhouse grower - United States
- Sales Manager - Netherlands
- Sales Assistant - Netherlands
- Logistic Coordinator - Netherlands
- Quality Assurance (QA) Manager - Australia
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
British garlic smugglers sought in SwedenSweden has issued an arrest warrant for two Brits suspected of smuggling millions of dollars' worth of garlic into Sweden from Norway.
The two men are believed to be behind a massive garlic smuggling operation whereby huge quantities of garlic were shipped from China to Norway and then brought over the Swedish border illicitly in order to avoid European Union import duties.
Prosecutors estimate the pair smuggled around €10 million ($13.1 million) worth of garlic into Sweden for distribution throughout the EU.
"We're talking about big money and profitable operation," prosecutor Thomas Ahlstrand said.
"It involved many shipments of garlic."
While garlic can be imported to Norway from China duty-free, the EU slaps a 9.6 percent duty on garlic imports.
According to the warrant, the Brits are suspected of using a company set up in Norway to profit from the import duty discrepancy, smuggling more than 100 tonnes of garlic across the Swedish border since 2009.
Prosecutors hope issuing warrants for the two Brits will result in them being arrested and extradited back to Sweden on charges of aggravated customs violations.
Publication date: 1/9/2013
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: