Job offersmore »
- Junior Productie Manager - Kenia
- Quality Assurance Quality Control - Canada
- Senior growers/agronomists - China
- Account Manager Foodservice en Groothandel DACH - Netherlands
- Business Development Manager - California
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Import Assistant and Operations Assistant - Netherlands
- Farms Director UK - South East
- Agronomist to work abroad
- Export salesperson GERMANY - Barcelona, Spain
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
US and Canada largest buyers
Mexico second asparagus supplier to the NetherlandsIn Mexico on an area of 16,000 HA mainly green asparagus are grown and the yield last year amounted to 85,417 tons. Of this, much is exported to various countries and only 5 percent is for own use. Asparagus cultivation is possible all year round in Mexico. The north west areas, Baja California and Sonora supply the export quantities during the period from November till March. From June to September supplies are grown in the more southern area of Guanajuato.
The most important export destinations are the United States and Canada (75%), whilst 20% is sent to Japan, the United Kingdom and Germany. The Netherlands also import Mexican asparagus. In 2011, the amount was 554 tons. With that Mexico was in second place as a Dutch supplier. Peru is the most important supplier of asparagus to the Netherlands with 6,319 tons.
This year the asparagus season, which is between January and March in Mexico was very productive. This was mainly because of the warm winter. There was no frost and the lowest night temperatures were 8 to 9 degrees, whilst during the day the temperature was slightly higher. At the moment the production is stable, whilst prices are reasonably high for the season. With the expectation of colder weather a decrease in supply is also expected.
Publication date: 12/7/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: