Job offersmore »
- Service Engineer - US & Canada
- Inside Sales Coordinator - USA
- Sales Engineer, Water - The Netherlands
- Crop care supervisor - Australia
- Nursery Systems Manager - Australia
- GENERAL / FARM MANAGER - India
- Grower / Ag scientist - Australia
- Technical/ Product Representative, Russia
- Technical/ Product Representative, India
- Retail Chain Manager - Russia
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Canada: Tomatoes may neutralise mercury poisoningMedscape writes that mercury in any form is poisonous, with mercury toxicity most commonly affecting the neurologic, gastrointestinal and renal organ systems.
Mercury is even more toxic to people than lead. Just a little mercury in your system can make you very sick. Mercury poisoning has been associated with conditions like arthritis, depression, fatigue, and muscle weakness. It is very difficult to avoid mercury completely in your diet because mercury is in our water and soil and therefore it is in our food. A good way to avoid the build-up of mercury in your brain and nervous system is to eat more tomatoes.
Researchers at the Universite Laval in Canada have examined the effect of the consumption of tomatoes and tomato products on blood mercury levels in preschool children. The children in their study regulary eat seal meat, fish and other foods from lakes and rivers which are contaminated with mercury, so their exposure levels are quite high. The researchers discovered that every time one of the children ate something with tomato in it, there was a 4.6% drop in blood mercury levels.
Publication date: 11/23/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: