Job offersmore »
- Nursery Systems Manager - Australia
- Assistant Professor of Landscape Architecture - Davis (CA), USA
- Technical Sales Representative Trainee - Ancaster, Ontario
- International Account Manager City Farming - Horticulture LED Solutions
- CEO for a leading Agri-Business working on an international basis
- Greenhouse Operations Lead - Alberta, Canada
- Commercial Head Grower - Newark, NJ (USA)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Regional Sales Manager - USA
- General Manager Operations - Australia
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Despite reduced volumes
Taiwan remains greatest importer of South Korean applesTaiwan has been the largest buyer of South Korean apples for the past three years now, however, it seems that the ratio has been decreasing.
In 2009, the first year in which Taiwan was the largest buyer, 92.5% of South Korean apple exports, worth in the region of $17.87 million US, went to the Taiwanese market. In 2010 this had dropped to 86.7% and in 2011, 66.4%.
Since 2010 there have been around 32,250ha dedicated to apple orchards in South Korea, producing in the region of 460,000 tons of fruit each year.
The reduction in exports to Taiwan is said to have been decided upon as a result of competition from other countries, such as Japan, combined with inspection issues - several batches of apples have been found to contain traces of pesticides which are banned in Taiwan.
Statistics show that the US was Taiwan's largest apple provider in 2011, when 52,424.8 metric tons were imported.
Following The US, in order of greatest volume were, Chile, Japan, New Zealand and then South Korea.
Publication date: 11/13/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: