Job offersmore »
- Nursery Systems Manager - Australia
- Assistant Professor of Landscape Architecture - Davis (CA), USA
- Technical Sales Representative Trainee - Ancaster, Ontario
- International Account Manager City Farming - Horticulture LED Solutions
- CEO for a leading Agri-Business working on an international basis
- Greenhouse Operations Lead - Alberta, Canada
- Commercial Head Grower - Newark, NJ (USA)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Regional Sales Manager - USA
- General Manager Operations - Australia
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Taiwan funds St Lucia banana recovery planSt Lucia is getting help from Taiwan in the fight against Black Sigatoka.
Taiwan has announced a donation of just under $700,000 US to the St Lucian Ministry of Agriculture to enable the commencement of the Banana Recovery Rescue Plan.
"Taiwan and St Lucia have been working together in developing the agriculture sector for several years and this project is just one of the many programmes between our government and it will surely help the banana industry overcome severe challenges," said Taiwanese Ambassador to St Lucia James Chang. "It is my firm belief that through our joint efforts not only the capacity and confidence of the banana farmers will be enhanced, but also the high quality produced will be tremendous business and [bring] marketing rewards to farmers in St Lucia."
Taiwan will also soon be sending on-the-ground support to St Lucia to assist in the fight.
"We do understand what is required — we know we have the scientists and technical experts to do the job and what they require is assistance and constant support," said Agriculture Minister Moses Jn Baptiste. "Over the past months we have been discussing how we can deal with this programme in a scientific way."
Only last month the Prime Minister of St Lucia, Dr Kenny Anthony, announced that the country would retain its diplomatic relations with Taiwan, amidst speculation that it would break in favour of China.
Publication date: 10/16/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: